5.16.2009

a quick {and dirty} garden post

I planted my vegetable garden today in the raised beds J built for me: check them out! They are awesome:



I came to the conclusion today that I'm such a form over function girl. As I was planting rows of jalapenos, cilantro, basil, and oregano, I realized my measurements should have been tailored to realistic row widths, not just what looked "balanced" in that space by the shed. So, the rows are a bit cramped. Hopefully everything grows successfully anyway... :/ Oops.

I was searching for my own cute little garden markers- the little signs that remind you what's planted when it starts growing- with no success. So I made my own {and a set for my parents' garden}. I bought some tiny metal signs from the dollar bin at Tar-jay and painted/decorated them myself:



I painted them with regular ol' acrylic paint. I used scrapbooking letter stickers for the words, then covered each sign with about 10 coats of outdoor Modge Podge {it's rad} then a few light coats of outdoor spray sealer. Hopefully they hold up through the summer. Not bad for a buck {plus some random stuff I already had}.

Finally, I'm trying my hand at composting this summer. I know, it's not really something that takes talent, but it's something I never got around to for some reason. You can see my bin in that top picture, hiding near the shed.

Here's my lazy-girl composting process:
  1. Find a large plastic bin. Mine's a 50 gallon recyled plastic tote from Target.
  2. Drill holes in the lid for ventilation.
  3. Put a few inches of dirt in the bottom.
  4. Collect vegetable peels and such while making dinner; every couple days just throw them in the bin. I collect mine in a coffee can under my sink and take it out every 2 days so it doesn't stink.
  5. About once a week, spray the pile just til damp, then turn a couple times with a shovel.
  6. Keep a good mix of green (wet) items and brown (dry) items.
Brown items:
  • Shredded newspaper
  • Lint from your dryer
  • Dry leaves
  • Saw dust
Green items:
  • Vegetable and fruit parts
  • Grass clippings
  • Egg shells
  • Coffee grounds {and the entire filter if you buy the biodegradable ones}
  • Used tea bags
But... DO NOT compost these things:
  • Pet waste {because, ew}
  • Animal fats
  • Bread, pasta, and cooked foods {they will stink}
Dig it?

No comments: